Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year

Wow.  It's been so long since my last post, that it seems everything here on blogspot has changed!

I've thought of many things that I would like to strive for in 2012...you know, the usual things like 'play my drums more', and 'read more' etc.  I even thought about starting a 365 picture thing..which really, would be pretty easy (using instagram)....but I decided that overall I just really want to be able to focus on my family.  Somehow Josh and I manage to fit a TON of stuff into our lives....and often times, even though kids are with us, they are sort of in the background of what is going on.  I honestly don't think this is a bad thing all the time.  There are things that we do that are important and that are good for our kids to see us involved in.

Really though, right now is an intense time in raising our kids!  Between having a baby AND elementary school kids it's just tough.  Sometimes our lives are so busy and we find ourselves doing 6 different things at a time...and one thing that gets neglected is really listening to them.  They all come home from school with many things to say and stories to tell..mostly about what they did in gym that day or on the playground.  These stories usually come out during times that are busy..like for example, Ethan LOVES to chit chat while he's in the shower.  This is fine, but when we have to get four kids through the shower it gives them each about a 7 minute (yes..we use a timer) limit each before we run out of hot water!  Ethan can't chit chat and wash his hair at the same time..multitasking is not one of his strong suits!  Anyway...not only is Ethan trying to multitask, but so am I..often helping him in the shower, while cutting someone else's nails and holding a baby at the same time.  So when he starts talking...I'm honestly like "uh huh...yep...ohhhh" and not actually hearing a single thing he's saying.  That's what I want to work on.  I want to work on looking my kids in the eyes when they are talking to me...even if I'm trying to do a gazillion other things at the same time.  What I really want to do is drop the other things I'm doing (well..not literally "drop" them...pooooor Truett:)...but I want to stop and focus on what they are telling me.  Trust me when I tell you that this is hard for me...when I have four kids that all want to tell me something at the same time, while I'm in the middle of something else....it's difficult.  Not because I don't want to hear what they have to say..I DO, I really really do...it's just that the busyness of life really gets in the way.  Sadly.

I read a blog post from a friend recently about choosing a Theme Word for 2012...you can read her take on this subject HERE .  My initial thought was the word "patience".  I definitely need that, but honestly, I don't think that will change from year to year.  I need to work on that every second of my life!  But, as I typed my thoughts above I am thinking that my theme word for this year should be "listen"...because there's a whole lot more in my life that I could spend more time listening to than just my kids!  I can listen more in prayer, while reading God's word...I can listen more intently to my husband and to the people I come in contact with on a daily basis.  There is a lot of listening to be done...and not just listening, but actually HEARING.  So that's it..my theme word for 2012 is LISTEN.

And with that said, yes, I do have some of the usual "resolutions" in mind.  I really really do need to get playing the drums more often.  I don't practice.  I've now been playing the drums for 6 years so I can't really live on the "I'm a new drummer" excuse anymore.  I really need to be improving...I want to be improving.  I also want to write in this blog more often.  I just love having this as a journal of sorts for the family.  As for the 365 idea...I will likely share a picture a day all year (I do this without thinking about it)...but just to keep the things that I "have to do" to a minimum...I'm not committing to that:)  Oh, and I have this little idea for a children's book that I would actually love to get written.  I definitely do NOT claim to be a writer and have no clue as to how one might go about writing a book...but I have an idea that I think is original (I think?) and really would like to run with it if at all possible.  We'll see if that actually happens....

And just because I can't post a blog entry without a picture....who wouldn't want to focus on looking into these eyes and listening to what they have to say to me?!?!

2 comments:

Heather C said...

GREAT word, Kristen! I wish I could pick a dozen... but I know if I did I wouldn't live (successfully) by any of them.

I struggle with this too... often Noah is chattering on about this video game he loves to play (Roblox... have your kids played it?), usually while I'm doing something else, and I tune him out with the standard, "ohh... uh huh... cool..." Honestly, I have heard so much about Roblox that it makes me crazy, and I just don't care. The thing that gets me is that he KNOWS I'm tuning him out. I was really convicted yesterday about that (think I need to give him a little... no, a LOT more grace. ;-))

Here's to a year of fresh beginnings... and of seeking God's best for us, and for our families. :)

Hydrangeas and Harmony said...

I did this last year (my word was trust, Prov. 3:5-6), and it was amazing how the Lord kept bringing it to mind throughout the year. I like your word choice! I find it too easy to tune my kids out especially because we're always together these days. I'm still praying for this year's word, although I have a feeling I know what it's going to be. :)