Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fall is coming to and end.

I know that winter doesn't technically begin until December 21st (or somewhere around there)...but as we find ourselves deeper into November here in NH it tends to feel more and more like winter, rather than fall. Not only does it start feeling that way, but it starts looking that way as well.

What once was multicolored leaves on the trees slowly becomes a mixture of multicolored lives on the ground and on trees (which is beautiful as well)..and continues into pretty leaves on the ground with bare trees..and eventually becomes nothing but dead leaves all over the ground and mostly naked trees.

There are days like today when the weather doesn't quite match the scenery around us. It is a beautiful day. As I was taking pictures of the kids playing today it sort of felt like the calm before the storm. I got the shovel out so that I could carry the rotting pumpkins off of our porch and throw them in the woods..and then after made sure that I didn't put the shovel completely away because I know I will likely need it before the end of the month.

As I looked around, I was noticing all of the toys laying around that will get buried in snow if I don't get to them first.



As I was taking this picture all I could think about was how far up that post the snow would get this winter.



As I was outside trying to soak up the last of the nice weather, I was sort of mourning the loss of the summer but at the exact same time eager to move onto the next season of Thanksgiving and eventually Christmas. I was picturing our family all cozy inside decorating our Christmas tree while enjoying Christmas music and watching the snow fall outside.

This is why I live in New England. I embrace change. Change is what gets me through the monotony of everyday life. I like each new season as it arrives and am eager for the next season when the time is near.

Today is just one of those days I guess...as we bring close to one season and welcome the next. Until then, we will try to soak up whatever life is left of this fall season...



...and enjoy today!









2 comments:

Nate, Megan, Naomi and Levi said...

Ahh. It makes me miss New England. Winter here is pathetic.

Anonymous said...

All I ask is that the snow holds off until after my visit...we've got warm coats, hats and mittens but I refuse to buy winter boots for a four day trip! Even if it snows, you'll see us wearing several pairs of socks at once, under sneakers! I miss fall but I can't honestly say I miss NH winters...