Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"LIFE"

The kids and I have been enjoying the show called "Life" that airs on the Discovery Channel. We've only watched two episodes so far, but we are anxiously waiting for Sunday when a new one comes on. I find myself as enthralled as the kids as we learn and watch all kinds of amazing things that all of these creatures do. The camera work is absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately, the show is heavy on the evolution...talking about the millions of years that these animals have been around and how amazing it is that they all 'adapt' so well to their surroundings. For us, it has been a great time for some discussion. We have been able to have many conversations about evolution vs. creation.

The thing is, for me this show proves creation even more clearly. Even down to the littlest creatures and plants. An example....the Venus Fly Trap. We learned a lot about how these traps work. I wasn't aware that the traps have little sensors (that look like a little hair) on the inside of the trap. In order for the trap to close, something has to trigger TWO of the sensors within 20 seconds. It takes a lot of energy for the trap to close, so it doesn't want to close unnecessarily. Also, when a trap catches a fly it squeezes it until it secretes the exact things that a plant needs to live. For me..it seems that something like this could not just have just 'appeared' out of no where.

One of the things that I find interesting while watching this show with the boys is their reactions to things like a komodo dragon killing and eating a water buffalo. Its harsh..to say the least. I was telling Josh about how I asked the boys if it was scary and they were like "NO! Its awesome", but during parts where a baby was compromised or a mother died (octopus), they were very sad. "Why did the mom have to die?" and "Oh no...the fox is gonna get the baby...run baby, run!"

Josh and I were talking about how these reactions kind of show that our boys understand the idea of hunting and gathering food, and also protecting the moms and babies. In a sort of barbaric way, I really do hope that this is something that we are teaching them. It is most definitely something that is modeled to them by Josh on a daily basis. (not that he takes off every day with his gun to hunt animals...but more in a 'he goes to work and works hard to make money to support his family' kind of way!) I do pray that our boys grow up to become amazing husbands and fathers...just like their father!

...although, it sure is hard to picture them all grown up with families of their own!




*edited to add this thought*
As I was looking at the three pics I just posted, I noticed how Ethan is the only one who seems to be squinting with the light in his eyes. This is common for Ethan. I was always under the impression that people with blue eyes were more sensitive to light..but with my kids its just the opposite. Ethan is always complaining that the light is too bright. Even at the dentist they have to give him sunglasses because he can't look into the light without being uncomfortable. Its just funny that all three boys were in the exact same spot within seconds of each other for these pictures and both Luke and Owen are wide eyed and unaffected by the sun.

0 comments: