Thursday, May 6, 2010

My life is a logistical nightmare.

I was going to post this as my status message for today on facebook...but I couldn't bring myself to do it, because I didn't want it to come across as negative. I mean really..my life is far from a "nightmare" (I absolutely LOVE my life and my family and all of the things my kids are into and really couldn't be happier!), but this last week has proven to be a logistical mess as Josh and I try to keep up with our family's schedule. And before you think I might be "complaining"...I know, I know...we were the ones who did not prevent these little monsters who are a large part of our schedule craziness....I am not complaining, necessarily:)

This week was the start of t-ball for both boys, each two days a week on different days. Add this to Jessalyn's softball schedule, a vbs planning meeting, a National Day of Prayer practice, a board meeting, youth group, the actual National Day of Prayer concert and a worship team practice we have just filled up every single night of this week. This is with a husband who works more than 40 hours per week and would love to be staying late to work on "The Bu" that is not running at the moment. Now, not all weeks are like this. In fact, we try to prevent weeks like these..but there are just times when it really can't be prevented.

Pretty much forget about dinner...its cereal, poptarts and bagels for the Browns:)

As we try to finagle babysitting and who is covering who this week, Josh and I have had some funny conversations. Sometimes our schedule is like a puzzle..and to overhear us trying to work out the pieces has to be a bit comical.

So as I spent today trying to plan out how this evening would work..with me needing to be in Concord, and Ethan needing to be at t-ball, and Josh not able to leave work early...and us only having one car** , it came down to a call to the neighbor (who happens to be Ethan's t-ball coach) for help and an elaborate plan of action for the rest.

Even though I found myself a bit stressed as to how the day was going to go, I was certain that it would all work out in the end. It always does.

This leads me to my devotions for today. I sat down, just a few minutes ago, to stop and read a devotional book that one of my besties, Karole-Ann, gave me. Its a devotional for "ministry wives".

I'm just going to type out what I read today..because it couldn't have been more fitting for me at this VERY moment. (..and am I surprised by that? No. But it sure is encouraging when you God shows himself in these ways!)

I will lead the blind by a way they do not know, in paths they do no know I will guide them. I will make darkness into light before them and rugged places into plains. Isaiah 42:16

This is the devotion by Noel Piper:

I'd read in the Little House books about blizzards so thick you could get lost between house and barn. But I never thought blizzards like that happened to real people in real life.


My husband and I were driving home from a speaking engagement in South Dakota-across the prairie through a horizontal gale that was spray painting everything white. Centerline, shoulders, and ditches had disappeared. We couldn't pull off- we'd be buried in the snow and we'd freeze. Anyway, where was "off"? We surely didn't want to stop where another car could plow into us.


A semitrailer saved us. Its driver sat high, with the perspective to make out the snow bumps of sign-posts and other indicators of the road. We fell in behind him, thankfully and trustfully, our eyes glued to his lights. When he slowed, we slowed. When he swerved, so did we. Some days I feel as though I'm in a blizzard, with all the normal pointers obliterated. But Jesus, my Savior, can see my road all the way to my destination, including every curve, bump, and blind spot that confronts me today.


In that prairie snowstorm, I had to keep my eyes on the semi and follow it; I didn't have any other choice if I wanted to avoid crashing. Every day we need to "fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2) and follow him' we don't really have any other choice- besides crashing.


Now, if that wasn't a more practical devotion for my day..for my week...I don't know what is!

I am thanking Him for his constant provision for my life!

**and as for the 'one car' issue. We are blessed that Josh is able to drive to and from work using a vehicle from his boss, but he does not want to take advantage of this by using that vehicle to drive all over the place. He is determined to keep "The Bu" alive...just for a little while longer!!

1 comments:

Sharon said...

Awesome devotional! I know I have been there many times...as you have been this past week. Isn't it awesome how God, when we seek Him, always shows us the clear path? God bless you Kristin, you are a great mom.