Tuesday, May 18, 2010

There's a long way between f22 and f1.8.

I love my D40. It has served its purpose well... more than well. I don't know how many shutter clicks it has survived, but I would guess (according to my "my pictures" file) its close to, if not more than, 20,000. So far, its still going strong.

In researching this camera I found mostly nothing but great reviews. It is easily considered the best "entry level" DSLR for the money. I would have to agree. In reading the reviews, one of the things that was mentioned was that the D40 has many of the features of some of the other higher priced cameras, but that the functions were harder to get to. Meaning, you have to wade through the cameras menu to get the settings where you want them....as apposed to having a 'one click' type digital button that allows for quick setting changes.

When I first got the D40, I would have never thought this would be an issue. I assured myself that I would just get to know my camera and the menu...which I did, and up to very recently have not had a problem with this.

Last weekend I was asked to photograph a wedding. This was a small wedding...only Bride/Groom, both sets of parents, 7 year old son, and their dog. They chose a beautiful spot next to a waterfall and the little hike down there was perfect! The ceremony was lovely and the couple looked amazing. I enjoyed this capturing this wedding.

I was a little apprehensive at first, knowing that photographing waterfalls is difficult enough on their own, never mind trying to properly expose a waterfall AND people a the same time. I knew going in that it would be difficult to get that 'perfect waterfall look' while at the same time have a nicely focused couple. My game plan was to try with slightly slower shutter speeds to get the good waterfall look, but hopefully not too slow to get a fuzzy couple...but then to just go back to the good ol' fast shutter speed and normal f-stop to be sure that I got decent shots of the couple no matter what the waterfall in the back looked like. I figured, a wide aperture could possibly make for some decent waterfall bokeh. Still tricky though..considering the exposure issue!

What all this means, is that with my D40, the only way to bump up the f-stop is by toggling the little dial behind the shutter release with my thumb. (imagine, taking a picture with a disposable film camera where you have to advance the film after each picture). Its alot of 'toggling' between f1.8 and f22 (which is what is necessary for good waterfall exposure). Not to mention, once you get to the proper f-stop, then you have to toggle that dial more in order to get to get to the proper exposure.

Most times, this is not an issue for me. More often than not, I am not switching back and forth that dramatically anyway...and never am I trying to do this quickly while a wedding party is freezing cold next to a waterfall! I was trying to go as fast as possible, but for the first time since having my D40 was really thinking...."wow..this would be so much easier with a different camera!".

I will, of course, share a few here, but there are more on smugmug. I'm not totally done post processing...I haven't done any of the actual ceremony pics or the family shots...they will come soon.





















After the wedding, I hiked back down to the falls by myself and spent some time focusing on just the waterfall. I'll be sure to post those pics soon.

2 comments:

Kann said...

They came out awesome!

Erica said...

You are amazing! Great work!