Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Baby Birds

On Saturday, I was spending some time cleaning off our back porch (that became cluttered with cardboard that we were intending to burn..but was starting to take over). I was out there for a while cleaning and hearing this annoying squeak sound that I thought was coming from a tree nearby. It sounded like a dog chewing a squeaky toy...over and over and over. I finally realized that the squeak was actually coming from right above my head...in a nest resting right in rafters of the porch. They were such little squeaks that it sounded like it was far away, but sure enough it was right above me.

I got out a chair and my cameras (still and video) to document this:) I soon realized that Mama bird had been hanging out nearby the whole time...probably trying to get to her super hungry babies who have been crying for food for quite some time now! I took a few pics by just sticking my camera up there, and then some video...and then (even though I wasn't finished my porch cleaning job) shut the door so that Mama could get in and feed her little ones. (I felt guilty that they hadn't been fed because I had been there for so long!).

I KNEW that Mama was gonna have to come feed her babes, so I waited inside the door to the porch (in my kitchen) with my video camera to try to get this feeding on video. Sure enough, after a bit of hesitation, Mama dared to come back onto the porch to feed them. It was so cool to watch.

I am aware of how birds feed their young, so to see her give them food was no surprise, but what happened after is still a mystery to me! I watched this same pattern over and over (and got it on tape three times)...but Mama would come, give a bird something and then almost immediately, she would take something back from them. The little birds would regurgitate some sort of white gross looking 'thing' from its mouth and Mama bird would take it and fly away. Its actually pretty gross...but apparently part of the process. I have yet to share the video with someone who had a 'for sure, certain' answer as to what is going on here, although, I have had some pretty good guesses. I am certain that one you who read my blog MUST know the answer:)

Mama bird is doing a GREAT job protecting her babes. She is nearby ALL day long, sleeps with them at night and freaks out when I am on the porch taking video or pics. She just flies from object to object squawking like crazy until I leave. I have yet to see one fly away, but they are really really close. There is lots of flapping going on inside there!

It has been fun to watch...although, my mom assures me that I will be quite annoyed by them very shortly!

I will share a few pics and the video that I am talking about...someone please tell me what is going on here! (and really..it is kinda gross, so if you don't like gross things then don't watch!).







2 comments:

Dawn and the boys said...

Well, I can't see her take anything white, but I can tell you from experience that my mamma robin took out poop. Many times after she fed the babies, she cleaned house and took away poop. Do you think that's what it was?

Love the vids and pics...gotta love nature!

Kristin said...

the video is not showing for some reason..but yeah, I totally think that is what it is. Its white....and that was the only good theory I had heard. I guess I just didn't realize that this was the process!!