Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Love this boy.

Its funny how the act of taking a picture with a camera tends to 'lock' a moment into my mind. Maybe that is why I do it so often? I mean, obviously, the moment is 'locked' into place with a picture and when everyone looks at a picture they are reminded of the moment by what they see on the picture in front of them. For me its more than that though...when I look at a picture I not only am reminded of the moment that was captured, but I can also, most of the time, remember actually clicking the shutter release button. Even in pictures taken many many years ago. I guess, by looking at a picture I can imagine myself in the moment by thinking about how and what I was doing when I snapped it. Maybe it is this way for everyone? I don't know. But, for me, it keeps me snapping away at milestones big and small!

For example...I was inspired this morning to take a few pictures of Ethan before school. Why? It wasn't the first day (we've already done all of those pictures)...it is a normal Wednesday morning. The 'get out the door' routine went smoothly today (it's hit or miss)...and the kids were at school on time...which in Jessalyn world means way early.

I guess lately, Ethan has been seeming so old to me! I took notice of this today as he took a shower completely by himself...and as far as I could tell, got out of the shower and was actually pretty clean. As I watched him brush his teeth and comb the hair that he is insisting on growing long, I felt like I needed to capture this 'moment' in my mind..which translates into 'on film' (or pixels!).

So, while Jessalyn sits in the car stressing that we might not get to school at exactly 8:25 (the announcements don't start and they are not "late" until 8:40), I took the opportunity to stop Ethan at the door and snap a few memories. He was fairly cooperative...probably because he knew he was making his sister squirm in the car...because he is a pesky little brother.



...and for the record, we were...as usual...at school with plenty of time to spare.

0 comments: