Thursday, September 2, 2010

An 'everyday' photography tip.

I have learned 98% of what I know about photography (which...admittedly is probably only 10% of what I NEED to know) from reading photography websites, forums and blogs. (the other 2% came from the one photography book that I read.) I am constantly amazed and grateful for those professional photographers who share their knowledge with people like me!

I figured, that I would try to share some of what I know with all of you! Again, this is not to say that I don't have more to learn...I will forever be learning the art of photography!

So...for my first 'everyday photography tip'....and remember, all photography rules are made to be broken, but some of these tips and rules are generally best to stick with..here ya go...

I could call these "EPT's"..but then that makes me think of "early pregnancy test" instead of "everyday photography tip"...so I won't do that.

Or maybe I will.

When taking a picture of a person's face while focusing on good eye contact, try to get at an angle with your subject so that the whites of their eyes shows on BOTH sides of the iris...on both eyes. This might involve having the subject move their head just a tiny bit, or sometimes their head can stay in the same place but you just need to move a little bit and have their eyes follow you.

Breaking this rule is very common...and it doesn't make for a TERRIBLE picture. I have many "keepers" that do not show both sides of the whites of the eyes...but when comparing them to a photo that keeps this rule in mind there is a significant difference as to how much I like the picture! I think you will find the same.

I have an example...with the pictures I took recently of Kenzi...


There are a few differences in these two pictures..mostly, her angle towards the better lighting in #2 is better as far as her eyes go. I still very much like the first photo and considered it a keeper (and if I remember correctly, mom considered this one a keeper too!) but in comparing the two, my eye is definitely more drawn to the 2nd photo. In looking at many pictures, on my site as well as other, I have found this to be consistent in that, in a portrait type photo, I prefer the ones where you can see each side of the whites of the eyes!

Again, this does not mean that every photo that do not follow this 'rule' must be tossed...its just a little tip to some better eye contact!

So, while photographing for someone else, snapping a pic of your friend, or even trying to get a self portrait with your cell phone in the bathroom mirror...this little tip is one that is easily accomplished and can make for a much more engaging photo in the end!

0 comments: