Friday, October 2, 2009

"Dude! What are you doing??!!"

This morning, after dropping Jessalyn and Ethan at school, I figured I would head straight to the eye doctor to pick up the contacts that have been sitting there waiting for me since August (or was it July?). On my way back, I was driving on Church Street (in Laconia) headed towards the lights in town while talking to Karen on the phone.

Fortunately, I am a defensive driver.

I'm in the right lane because I am turning right at the lights. As I'm driving towards the lights, I see a sweet looking black car pulling out of (I think) the library. The driveway that the car was pulling out of was a bit of an incline. I'm still chatting with Karen and keeping an eye on the car. As I got closer, it appeared like the car was not going to stop, although I was clearly in the right of way....but the car was NOT stopping. So...I believe I said (maybe Karen can confirm this?)..."Dude! What are you doing!!". So, I stopped in the road..and this car continued to pull out RIGHT in front of me...and I mean, like literal inches in front of me.

So I'm looking at the car, thinking about pulling out a little road rage (kidding. really.) and as I'm about to give the driver a look of "what the heck??!!" I realize that there is NOBODY driving the car!!! Oh my goodness. It was totally creepy..and funny..and scary at the same time. I'm still on the phone with Karen..trying to describe (in shock) what is happening to me while laughing hysterically (ok, maybe not hysterically..but I was laughing).

Here I am, stopped dead in the middle of the road while a car with no driver sort of settles itself right in front of me. The driverless car came to a stop. Cars in the lane to the left of me continue on..fortunately, that driverless car didn't go any further or it would have been an accident for sure.

For a brief moment, I am wondering what the heck I should do. I kinda scoped out what was going on around me and noticed a man in a suit across the street doing a double take...and then I witness the jaw dropping expression on his face followed by him sprinting across the street to hop back in HIS car and back it up the driveway! He looked at me like with a look of complete confusion and then I drove away.

I am kicking myself because I had the camera sitting right there in the passenger seat of my van and I didn't think to take any pictures!! What is wrong with me??!! Nothing would have made this post better than actual pictures of the car sitting in front of me with no driver. I guess I'll have to let you imagine the scenerio instead.

As I drove away (this whole time, on the phone with Karen) I realize how blessed I was by the timing of this little incident. Really. How annoying and inconvenient would it have been if I had been 2 seconds ahead and have this car ram into the side of my van. It was creeping out in front of me rather slowly, so it wouldn't have been a major issue, but surely would have caused a dent and probably a call to the insurance, not to mention police documentation and all of the hassle that goes along with that.

I did take the scenic route home to fullfill my duty as leaf peeper (its ok, you can hate me). Since I can't leave you with a picture of the creepy headless car, I will leave you with another picture that I took today!

Its a beautiful day!!

4 comments:

whitaker imagery said...

beautiful image, kristin...and I totally would have stopped to have a conversation with that guy. all i keep thinking is, what if someone were walking down the street with their children...OR what if the car hit a car full of kids?! He should have at least apologized, but kudos on the defensive driving :) Also, check your lens/camera innards for dust ;)

Kristin said...

Oh I know...I totally noticed that too. It only shows up when I have the lens wide open. I did take it apart..and I *think* I fixed the problem, although...I haven't had a chance to test it out! Thanks for the 'heads up'!

Molly is Fast said...

love the story and the picture!

Heather C said...

Beautiful shot! And funny story. Glad no one got hurt. I can't even imagine. I'd have been freaking out!