Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Show and tell...

Every now and then (probably every 6 months or so) I try to video tape myself playing the drums. Its a painful experience...because nobody likes to see themselves on video...but one that must be done to measure a sense of accomplishment with my drumming. In watching myself drum I can quickly become discouraged..thinking about everything I have yet to learn, but then I fix this problem by looking back at the months previous and see that I have actually improved.

It has been a slow process. I've loved the drums every since I can remember. My oldest brother is a drummer and at an early age I was found drumming the basic "rock beat"...impressing all of my brothers teenage friends. As I grew older I found myself more engulfed in the world of athletics and never once pursued that childhood love of the drums.

(a picture of my in my night gown playing the drum set that my brother got for Christmas. Its a picture of a polaroid so the quality is not good)


Later on in life I found myself a bit obsessed with drummers. You can always tell who was behind the video camera at various concerts by the fact that the camera was zoomed in on the drummer the entire time! I have one friend, Nate, who is an incredible drummer and has always been one of my drumming inspirations. All of my life I have singled out the drums in every song..and in my mind always tried to figure out just what the drummer was doing with hopes of some day sitting down at a kit and being able to play.

So fast forward about 20 some odd years. I finally bit the bullet and scheduled myself drum lessons when I was 28 years old. The very first thing that I learned was that I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT WAY SOONER! I was fortunate to be able to learn from the late Eddie Barbato...most commonly known as "Crazy Eddie". I learned a ton from him. He brought me back to the elementary school reading and I feel like I got a really good start with him. Unfortunately only a year after I started lessons with him he learned that he had cancer and had to stop giving lessons. (he passed away in February) Adding to the fact that my drum teacher was stepping down...and the fact that I had just learned that I was pregnant with Owen, I took a break from lessons.

During that time I have had the privilege of playing each week with the worship team at my church. This has proven to be a great experience for me as we play a very wide range of styles...and just being able to play live every week a great way to learn!

So anyway..back to the recording myself drumming part...

After recording myself drumming along with the song "Boom" by Toby Mac I uploaded it to my computer. While viewing it on my camera all was fine...but something happened between my camera and my computer and it caused the video to upload in hyper speed. I got the video all uploaded and then went to watch it from there and I was like "holy cow...I AM AWESOME". ha ha ha ha

I figured I would share it with you...but you'll just have to imagine it half as fast. Its good for a laugh though...

(I edited this to also point out that the drums that I am playing are the ones in my basement...not my real kit!)


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books

5 comments:

Becky said...

That is SOOO cool! I'm impressed.

Sharon said...

WOW!!!!! How about doing that this week in church? ;-)

Amy said...

I had to giggle...that's funny! You're getting really good...I remember you just starting out!

woo-hoo!!

Kann said...

LOL! i am still giggling! This is just great!!! You are an awesome drummer though! I think of you every week when he we are at worship team practice!

liss said...

wow kristin!! you're amazing!!!! hehe... i couldn't stop giggling either...